Top gospel artiste and talk show host turned-politician, Kenny St Best shares her over 16 years experience on stage. Excerpts:
Can you remember the first time you performed live?
My first time performing live was at a Church programme at the Redeemed Christian Church of God, (RCCG) Robonic Parish. It is now a mega parish. I was invit­ed by the presiding Pastor. However I later travelled out of the country. It was when I returned that I started music full time.
As a professional musician, when was the first time you performed on stage?
That was at the Muson Centre in 1998.
How was the show?
The show was brilliant! I felt like a super star because that was the first time a stylist, make-up artiste, costumier and others will be attending to just me alone. The stage was also branded and there were adverts on television for people to come and watch me and other big acts. So I will say that I started on a big scale and that was very good for me.
Did you panic before going on stage?
No, but there were mistakes because see­ing the large crowd was overwhelming and I wanted to be at my best. That day I was trying to connect five things at the same time.
What kind of mistakes did you make?
Well, I think we were starting a song and the band and I couldn’t connect so I had to stop the band and apologise to the crowd before starting all over again. But uncle Kenny Ogungbe told me after the show that there was no need stopping the band or apologising.
Then you were just a secular ar­tiste, did you take any stimulant?
I didn’t. In fact I have never taken any stimulant in my entire life because I am a word being. I can’t climb the stage without speaking in tongues and speaking the Word of God into my life. I shut myself from the world seven minutes before going on stage and speak the Word of God and the moment I do, an energy wells up from inside of me, I am talking about the kind of energy that you see when you watch the Incredible Hulk, and it hits me hard! Meanwhile I am reciting a Bible verse as I am doing that.
Apart from your rehearsals, do you do anything special on the day of your show?
No, I don’t do anything because music has taken over me. Because I do gospel, I take authority over the spirit of the air and the reason is that I don’t want to be singing praises while people turning their backs on me.
So you don’t treat your voice?
What I do is to take a little water or soft drink because it contains sugar. One thing about me is that my energy shoots higher even after performance so what I do is to continue with something that contains sugar. I don’t even go to bed on time; it is like giving me another show.
So what calms you down?
May be a shower and then later I could fall asleep.
What crazy things has a male or female fan done to you?
Nothing but some give gifts. For ex­ample, fans showered me with dollars and pound sterling in London and Holland.
Is that all?
Yes, and that is because I sing gospel; I don’t sing erotic songs so people don’t get crazy when I am on stage.