EverDwell Uk

EverDwell Uk

Saturday 18 October 2014

Battle I waged before divorce – Doris Simeon



Born into a polygamous family of five, Doris Simeon knew from the onset that she wanted to be an entertainer, even as she also thought of becoming a broadcaster.  Though not from any of the Yoruba-speaking states, she did not allow that to deter her as she stormed the Yoruba Nollywood sector to dish out a first class performance. Doris is from Benin, Edo State, but speaks fluent Yoruba. She is also comfortable with the dialect as she has featured in some cultural films with pure indigenous Yoruba dialect.
Doris Simeon is a reporter’s delight. When AJIBADE ALABI encountered her at a location somewhere in Ojodu Berger, Lagos, she told how she started her acting career, and changed her mind about becoming a broadcaster. She also spoke about her challenges in this no-holds-barred interview. Excerpts:
Who is Doris Simeon?
Doris Simeon is a young woman from Benin in Edo State, but born and bred in a polygamous family in Lagos. I attended Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School in Lagos after which I went to the PEFTI School where I was trained as an actress. I am the second child in my family.
How did your journey to the world of make-believe start?
I started with Papa Ajasco & Company, a Wale Adenuga Production. I went for the auditioning with the hope they might or might not choose me, but luckily I was picked. That was how it started. Then I met the late Yomi Ogunmola who introduced me to the Yoruba movie sector of Nollywood.
What was the first movie you featured in?
Actually, my first movie did not come out; its title was ‘Abanikedun’, where I played a lead role. But the one that really brought me to limelight is ‘Olojuede’ in which I featured along with Pasuma. It was a film that really shot me into limelight. From that moment everybody knew me and started inviting me for auditions.
How many films have you produced?
I have produced three films of my own. The first is ‘Onitemi’, second is ‘Omo Iyakan, and third which is the latest, is ‘Asiri’. It just came out about a year ago. I do a film per year. I don’t just produce films anyhow; I am a one-year film producer.
Who are your friends in the film industry?
Everybody is my friend; I don’t have any special friends. Like we were told when we were young in the church, it is only Satan that is our enemy. So, I don’t have an enemy, everybody is my friend in the industry.
While growing up, did you ever think of becoming an actress?
Not really, but I loved entertainment. I thought of being behind the camera, where people will hear my voice but not see my face. When I joined the entertainment industry, however, people began to see me and say ‘your face will sell more’. Then, I had no choice than to start appearing on movies.
We have many caucuses in the Yoruba film industry, which one do you belong to?
I don’t belong to any. I am for everybody; I am a friend to all.
What would you say has happened in the last five years in the industry?
A lot has happened since the last five years. Unlike when the English sector used better equipment than we do, now we also have first class equipment. Now, we also use very good locations for our shootings as you can see for yourself, so a lot of things have changed. A lot of money is being poured into the industry now, and this is just the beginning. The film industry generally in Nigeria has a very bright future. Now, everybody knows what film business means, they just don’t shoot films anyhow anymore, they want to compete with the best in the world. Even in music, Nigeria is doing well, we are challenging ourselves and with that we will do even better. That is how the industry will continue to grow.
What do you think makes you more special than your colleagues?
A Yoruba adage says “Igberaga ni igbera sanle” (pride goes before a fall). I don’t praise myself; I let people do that for me.
What gets you attracted to the opposite sex?
Maybe my complexion.
You don’t mean it. Not your face or your shape?
Not my face or my shape o, but my colour. You know I am an albino, so I get attention easily. There is no way an albino will be in the market and not be noticed, so I am easily noticed among people. Thanks to my colour.
Which role has given you the most challenge?
Every movie comes with its own challenge, but the ones that gave me more challenge are two. One is ‘Modupe temi’, which I did with Saidi Balogun, and second is ‘Omo Iya Kan’. ‘Modupe Temi’ is a two-part movie, which I think has not been done before then. It was challenging because I didn’t get time to rest, so it was difficult to cope, but it was very, very interesting because I enjoyed it. If you face challenges you learn from it and that way you improve your skills. ‘Omo Iya Kan’ was also challenging because I was playing two characters in the movie and I just had my baby at the time. Secondly, I lost my dad at the same time I was producing, so all those things put a lot of pressure on me, and I needed to master that particular character I was playing.
Any regret being an actress?
No, not at all.
If you are not acting, what would you be doing?
Probably a presenter, which I just started; I just did a TV show called ‘Faji Extra’, I have just finished shooting one.
Tell us more about the show?
It is a personality show, a normal talk show, where you interview guests, top personalities and celebrities to talk about their life. It is a very interesting show.
Has love been fair to you?
Okay, I see you want to talk about my marriage.
No, no, I am just asking a general question?
I thank God, God is love.
I am talking about love as a human being, everybody knows God is love.
But God says love yourself, so I can say God loves me.
What really happened to your marriage?
Daniel asked for divorce over seven times long before we finally separated. At every little problem, he would say ‘I want divorce, I want divorce.’ There are some people he listens to when they talk to him, so I tried to call pastors and they kept calling him, but he wouldn’t pick their calls. At some point, I realised he had made up his mind. It got to a point that I had to look at myself in the mirror and I said to myself, ‘Doris, you are a beautiful woman, why would you want to kill yourself over nothing?’ I convinced myself to move on with my life. It took me a year to get to that point, but in between I was trying to focus on my work.
What lesson do you think other women could learn from your experience?
My advice to other women going through such challenges is, put God first in everything. Put things behind you and make sure you look your best and work harder. Don’t kill yourself because of any man, and remember you have kids to take care of.
But you should be feeling bad that your marriage has crashed?
There is always time to be happy and time to be sad. There is time to reflect and think and learn from your experience. You make mistakes and learn from it. You don’t make mistakes and go back to it or dwell on it.

No comments: