EverDwell Uk

EverDwell Uk

Saturday 18 October 2014

The Nollywood Review



In this edition, I reviewed the hotly anticipated big budget blockbuster, ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’, directed by Biyi Bandele. There is also an interview with fast-rising Nollywood actress, Judith Audu, whose short film ‘Not Right’ was nominated at this year’s Best of Nollywood Awards. And the much talked about Kunle Afolayan’s ‘October 1’ is our movie of the week. Our Nolly Trivia this week is on Nollywood directors. Why not have a go?
Review
‘Half of A Yellow Sun’, pretty picture lacking depth
Biyi Bandele’s ‘Half of A Yellow Sun’ attempts to tell a love story with the background of the Biafran war. I don’t know whether it is because we are watching the edited version in Nigeria, but his adaptation of the novel leaves me yearning for more – more love, more war and more emotion. It seems like some of the foreign actors came on set to look pretty, recite lines and pack their bags. The Nigerian cast fare better. The music, set design and costume all score big points, but don’t make up for the predictable screenplay and unexciting directing.
Interview
10 Questions for Judith Audu
Judith Audu is a fast-rising Nollywood actress and budding producer. The French language graduate has featured in several Nollywood movies and recently produced her
own short film ‘Not Right’. The tall, slim and unassuming actress says she is in the world of make-believe not just for the fame but to leave an indelible mark.
Your acting journey: talent or training?
Talent, I have been training on the job since the day I started acting. Whenever I am on set, I learn a lot. And that is not just from the directors but from my fellow actors, too. I read a lot of acting books; watch videos and train myself with every opportunity I get. However, I plan on getting more in-depth training.
How did your education background and professional experience prepare you for the world of make-believe?
My first degree is in French language and my first stage experience was actually performing one of our literature books and we did quite a number of that before I joined a theatre group while at the university.
Stage or screen?
Stage anytime, because it makes you feel alive. When you get positive response from the audience, you just get this priceless fulfillment and joy. I have been away from the stage for too long actually and need to retrace my steps and get back on stage. Everyone can be on screen, but not everyone can be on stage.
What led to producing your own film?
I had always wanted to produce something, but just never got around to doing it, either the funds will not be available or I didn’t have the time. I see it as growth for me personally to be able to contribute more in my industry and am glad I did.
Describe the experience.
It felt so unreal! I was very happy everything worked out as planned. The first day I watched it on my TV, I couldn’t believe it was mine! I was really proud of myself. I must admit, I shed some joyful tears and hoped to do something bigger.
What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
It was well-planned, so we were able to manage time and everything well. The only challenge I had was during post production, but we found a way around it and it came out nice.
So far, what has the response been like?
The response has been very impressive. It was first screened at the Goethe Institut, Lagos, and Lagos Film Society film festival where it got very good reviews. It was also nominated in the Best Short Film category for both the 2014 Best of
Nollywood Awards and the 2014 Abuja International Film Festival. So, it’s been a good experience.
How do you manage the fame and attention as a married woman?
I am very disciplined and principled. I respect people a lot and I try not to be rude. So far, I have been able to manage well.
Was your husband a fan of yours?
When we started dating, I wasn’t seriously acting, but was nursing the dream to return back to it. He is the reason I returned to the industry, as he supports me 100% and encourages me not to quit.
If you could change anything in your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have studied Theatre Arts or started training myself earlier because I believe I would be a more grounded actor and would have a more in-depth knowledge about my craft.
Nolly Trivia
  1. Who directed ‘A Place in the Stars?’
  2. ‘Dazzling Mirage’ was directed by which filmmaker?
  3. Name the film Funke Fayoyin directed in 2013?
  4. Mildred Okwo directed ‘The Meeting’, true or false?
  5. ‘1897 Invasion’ was directed by the Guvnor, what is his real name?
Movie of the week
‘October 1’
Director: Kunle Afolayan
Synopsis
It’s September 1960, and with Nigeria on the verge of independence from British colonial rule, a northern Nigerian Police Detective, Dan Waziri, is urgently dispatched by the Colonial Government to the trading post town of Akote in the Western Region of Nigeria to solve a series of female murders that had struck horror in the hearts and minds of the local community. On getting to Akote, more murders are committed, and with local tension high and volatile, Waziri has a race on his hands to solve the case before even more local women are killed. Set against the backdrop of the national celebratory mood of the impending independence, Waziri is pulled into a game of cat and mouse as he and the killer try to outwit each other… leading to the climatic end in which the life of a popular local female teacher and village belle, Tawa, is held in the balance. Waziri has to race against the clock to capture the killer, save Tawa and solve the crime before the British flag is lowered and the Nigerian flag raised on Independence Day… October 1st.

No comments: