EverDwell Uk

EverDwell Uk

Sunday 26 October 2014

I’m out to change face of gospel music – K-Wonder



Kayode Solomon, popularly known as K-Wonder, is a unique human, owing to what he knows how to do best. He does music, working to change the face of the Nigeria gospel music. In this encounter with TOPE OLUKOLE, he reveals his best-kept secret and uniqueness of his music.
Getting to meet K-Wonder
My real name is Kayode Solomon. I sing gospel music. I also sing different types of music such as ‘Ijala’, an African type of music. I love my continent; I love my country and my culture.
Why is your name Wonder?
K-Wonder is a name given to me by my brother. But the ‘K’ stands for Kayode while Wonder actually stands for my performance. I have been performing in a wonderful way for the past 15 years. But a couple of years back, I decided to come into the light because I was in darkness before; there is a difference between the two – secular and the spiritual thing – so, I decided to respond to the gospel line.
What influenced the change?
Actually, right from my childhood, my mother told me that I was a child of covenant. She made a covenant with God that if God could do this and that, she would do this and that for God. I wasn’t there, but I discovered that since I was a child, I have been seeing the hand of God in whatever I do. I have been seeing great signs in me, and now that I have answered the call, I see things moving around in a positive way in my life.
What your mother told you might have influenced your change from secular to gospel, right?
It is not like that. You know if God wants you to do something, if you like run to Maiduguri or Kaduna, the hand of God will catch you. Actually, God has been showing me a lot of things that really tell me God wants me to do His work- to sing gospel, because in 2007, I released an album titled: ‘Joyful Celebration’ with the track ‘Agogo Sekere’, then people took me for Lagbaja. Some people took me for Buga because of the radio and television jingle. I even got some nominations through the video of the song. So, ever since, I have been doing great. I also released musical single video titled: ‘We Sing Your Language’. And finally, in 2004, I went into gospel music. I released ‘Olukayode Single’ where we talked about Yoruba couples in video. You see, in anything I do, I always introduce Yoruba culture, the western Nigeria culture.
Which church do you attend?
I started from The Apostolic Church, Idi-Araba, Abeokuta, Ogun State. Then I was singing and drumming before I came to T.A.C. in Ikotun in 1998, Lagos. It was at Ikotun I learnt how to play all kinds of musical instrument like guitar, talking drum, the drum set, and ‘gangan’. Before I finally moved back to Abeokuta in 2002, I performed in one ceremony during one of my sister’s friend’s convocation in 1999. I did not find it easy; I was just singing everything all together. But it was when I got back to Abeokuta that I started music as a profession.
Are you still worshipping there?
Well, I was given a vision in 2007 to start attending the Redeemed Christian Church of God. One of our elders told me to be attending the Redeemed, and that decision changed my life. The church has been carrying me along to play in virtually all church activities. Now, I am one of the choir members at Abule-Odu, under Pastor J.T. Kalejaiye.
What’s your educational background?
I went to the Lagos State University (LASU), where I read History and International Studies.
What would you call your kind of music?
I sing ‘Ijala’, but my music sounds like Lagbaja’s and people always say I sing like him, but I am not Lagbaja. I love Lagbaja so much, his music is so cool; it is not noisy. I think of bringing such into gospel music. I am trying to change the face or technicality of gospel music in Nigeria.
Are you married?
That is a very difficult question; I cannot answer for a certain reason. I am not married anyway, but I don’t want to go into details.
Is there anyone you are dating now?
I am not dating anybody now.

No comments: